The largest grassland in the park is Dhikala Chaur. Moreover, tow of the best grasslands, Buxar Chaur and Beri Chaur, submerged under the reservoir Ramganga. This is one of the best parks to visit in India not just for the abundant variety of flora and fauna but even for weekend breaks and serene retreats.
If you are considering your decision to visit, then here's some pointers as to why choose wildlife for holidays in India.
|Royal Bengal Tigers|
- State: Uttarakhand
- Useful Distances: 253.5 km
- Famous For: Wildlife, Royal Bengal Tigers, Ecotourism
- Area: 1,319 sq km (509 sq miles)
- Altitude: 385-1100m above Mean Sea Level
- Geographical Coordinates: 78°44' to 79°07'E Longitude and 29°25' to 29°39'N Latitude
- Rainfall: 1400 mm - 2800 mm
- Temperature: 4 °C to 42 °C
- Best Time To Visit: Mid November to Mid June
- Opening Hours: 0630 hours to 1730 hours
- Air: Jolly Grant Airport (Dehradun) is the nearest airport located at a distance of 157 km. From the airport, there are taxis and cabs available to drive visitors to the park.
- Rail: Ramnagar is the nearest railway station located at a distance of 10.6 km. From the railhead, there are private cabs and shared taxis available to reach the national park.
- Road: There is road connectivity available from Delhi to reach the park. The route is about 253.5 km via Gajraula, Moradabad, and Kashipur.
Flora & Fauna:
- Mammals: Bengal Tigers, Elephant, Jungle Cat, Leopard Cat, Chital Deer, Sambar Deer, Chital, Himalayan Black Bears, Otters, Himalayan Goral, Langur, Buffalo, Leopards, Fishing Cat, Barking Deer, Indian Elephants, Hog Deer, Sloth, Indian Grey Mongoose, Yellow-Throated Martens, Indian Pangolins, Rhesus Macaques.
- Birds: Blossom-Headed Parakeet, Owls, Peacock, Crow, Orioles, Woodpeckers, Cormorants, Vulture, King Fishers, Ducks, Seagulls, Crested Serpent Eagle, The Red Junglefowl, Nightjars, Partridges, Parakeets, Drongo, Teals, Kaleej, Laughing Thrush, Doves, Storks.
- Reptiles: Indian Marsh Crocodiles (Mugger), Cobra, Gharials, Russel, King Cobra, Python, Common Krait, Monitor Lizard.
- Pisces: Mahaseer, Goonch, Chilwa, Kalabasu, Kalimuchi.
- Flora: Sal, Kuthber, Semal, Bakli, Khair, Bel, Khingan, Pula, Sissoo, Chbilla, Kharpat, Bamboo, Ber, Dhak, Rohini.
- Timings: 0630 hours to 0930 hours and 1330 hours to 1730 hours
- Safaris: Jeep Safari, Elephant Safari, Canter Safari
- Safari/Tourism Zones: Dhikala Safari Zone, Bijrani Safari Zone, Durga Devi Safari Zone, Jhirna Safari Zone, Sonanadi Safari Zone.
- Entry (per person for first 3 days and 2 nights): Indian - INR 200; Foreigner - INR1000
- Vehicle: Heavy Vehicle - INR 1500 for both Indian and Foreigner; Light Vehicle - INR 500 and INR 1500 for Indian and Foreigner respectively; Mini Bus - INR 800 for both Indian and Foreigner.
- Camera: Noncommercial Fixed/Movie Camera/Video - Free; Commercial Fixed/Movie Camera/Video - INR 500 and INR 1500 for Indian and Foreigner respectively.
- Elephant Safari: INR 3000 per elephant per day (outside the protected areas of Characutter and Mahawat)
|Jeep Safari in Jim Corbett National Park|
Attractions in & around Corbett National Park:
- Dhikuli: If you want to witness some of the picturesque views in the park, Dhikuli is the location. Beautiful valleys and the ancient rest house, built about 100 years ago, makes it a worth visiting area in the park.
- Kalagarh Dam: If you love birds, Kalagarh Dam is the place to be. Here, you can spot various beautiful native and migratory birds.
- Corbett Falls: On a nature trail, if you want to experience an ultimate peaceful place, Corbett Falls becomes a must visit.
- It is advisable to make advance booking to avoid last minute disheartenment.
- Jeep safari is therefore the best way to explore the park.
- Carrying sharp objects in the park is not allowed.
- Harming or teasing any flora or fauna species is an offense.
- To avoid facing problems in filing responsibility, reach the gates of the park an hour before.
- Patience is the key to enjoy the best of the park. Do not panic if you do not spot any mammal or bird for a long time.
- Make sure you have charged your camera well to capture amazing clicks in the park.
- Alcohol, cigarettes and non-vegetarian food is prohibited in the park.
- Keep the color of your clothing subtle. Loud colors appear as a sign of danger to animals and they might run away.
If its the snow leopard you are looking for, you may want to visit the Great Himalayan National Park or if it is the rare and endangered species of Great Single-horned Rhinoceros, then you may want to head out to Assam to visit Kaziranga National Park. Kaziranga is home to 2/3rd of the world population of Single horned Rhinos.
For a rare experience of seeing Asiatic Lions in their natural habitat, Sasan Gir Wildlife Sanctuary in Gujarat is the only place in Asia. You might be interested in exploring Gujarat's wildlife for some rare and exclusive wildlife experiences.
You may also be interested in some more wildlife vacation ideas in India.
Contributed By Neelam Talreja