“I know of no place so pleasant in climate and so pretty in scenery as Mandu during the rains.” ~ Emperor Jahangir.
|View from Jahaz Mahal in Mandu|
- Royal Enclave Group: This is the most extensive and impressive group of attractions in Mandu. This group includes a collection of Palaces, which were built by different rulers around 3 tanks. The multi-level Jahaz Mahal (Ship Palace) is one of the major highlights of the group. This used to house Sultan Ghiyas-ud-din-Khilji's substantial harem of women.
- Rewa Kund Group: This group lies 4 km to the south, and features Palace of Baz Bahadur and Rupmati's Pavilion. You can enjoy the spectacular view of sunset and overlook the valley. The tragic and legendary romantic tale of Mandu ruler Baz Bahadur and beautiful Hindu singer Rupmati make this place popular among visitors.
- Village Group: This group is located in the heart of Mandu. There is a mosque, which is regarded as the finest specimen of Afghan style of architecture in India. The Hoshang Shah's Tomb is also featured in this group. These both attractions served as the source of inspiration for the construction of the Taj Mahal centuries later. The Ashrafi Mahal is also worth a visit due to its detailed Islamic pillar work.
- By Air: Indore Airport is the nearest airport to reach Mandu. After arriving at the airport, you may hire a taxi or cab to reach Mandu.
- By Rail: Indore Railway Station is the nearest railhead to reach Mandu. There are taxis and cabs available for hire to reach Mandu.
- By Road: There are 4 buses that operate from Indore to Bhopal via Dhar. To reach Mandu, you need to change at Dhar.
Top 10 Places to Visit in India in March
Top 10 Monsoon Destinations in India
Top 5 Summer destinations for Holidays in India