History of the Kumbh Mela
It is said that after being cursed by the celestial rishi (Sage) Durvasa, the devtas lost all their power. The devtas, after having being deprived of their strength approached the divine Trinity of Gods (Lord Brahma, Lord Vishnu and Lord Shiva) and suggested to churn the celestial Ocean of Milk that lies at a distant location of the cosmos.
Due to the massive task involved, the devtas enlisted the danavas for the exercise and agreed to share the immortal nectar upon its procurement.The great mountain Mandara was used as the churning rod while the celetial serpent Vasuki became the rope for the churning.
Importance of Ujjain Kumbh Mela
Holy Bathing Dates of the Ujjain Kumbh Mela, 2016
Before attending the sacred Ujjain Kumbh Mela, it is good to know about the dates and schedule. These are listed as follows:
- 22 April 2016 : Purnima First Shahi Snaan (Royal Holy Dip)
- 03 May 2016 : Vratparv Vauthini Ekadashi
- 06 May 2016 : Vaishakh Krishna Amavasya (First Pramukh Snan)
- 09 May 2016 : Shukla/Akshey Tritya (Second Pramukh Snan)
- 11 May 2016 : Shukla Panchami
- 15 May 2016 : Vrishabh Sankranti
- 17 May 2016 : Ekadashi & Pradosh Snan
- 19 May 2016 : Pradosh
- 20 May 2016 : Nursingh Jayanti
- 21 May 2016 : Purnima Main Shahi Snan
When is Simhasth Ujjain Kumbh Mela in 2016?
How to Reach Kumbh Mela Venue in Ujjain
Things to be kept in Mind
And, if you are planning to camp on site, then you may check-out the Price Guide for Ujjain Kumbh Mela 2016 to make sure your journey to visit "Aastha ka Kumbh".